The ARROW Program – (Emotional Competencies)
CATEGORYLeadership Development, Whole Year Level
… is designed to equip participants with the necessary skills to deal with the emotional challenges they will face in life. Creating an environment of ‘feeling good’ simply isn’t enough. The real need lies in teaching students how to identify and control emotional impulses and capitalise on their and others’ emotional resources as a path for success.
Current research shows the IQ represents only a 25% influence on people’s success in their career. A careful analysis though, suggests a more accurate figure may be no higher than 10% and perhaps as low as 4% (Successful Intelligence, R Sternberg, New York 1996). Recent studies in Emotional Intelligence (EQ) by Daniel Goleman and others have demonstrated that Emotional Intelligence is a far greater predictor (80-85%) of success in the workplace and in life in general.
The A.R.R.O.W. Program equips and transforms students by…
expanding and applying the following five crucial aspects of Emotional Competence:
- Awareness – clearly identify and articulate feelings & emotions
- Restraint – effectively dealing with one’s emotions
- Resilience – becoming stronger through emotional adversity
- Others – identifying emotions in others
- Working With Others – helping others in managing their emotions